William Adolph Daugherty Home

William Adolph Daugherty Home407 North Second Street William A. Daugherty was the original owner of this historic, two-story home. He, his wife Josephine, and at least six of their eight children arrived in Alpine in 1902. Two of his three […]

First Baptist Church of Alpine

Historical records point to the Baptists as being the first protestant religious group to hold worship services in Murphyville (Alpine). Rev. George W. Baines, II is generally credited with preaching the first sermon at the Southern Pacific station in the […]

W.W. Townsend – A.H. Palmer Home

W.W. Townsend – A.H. Palmer Home807 West Sul Ross Avenue This old home is an excellent example of design and fine craftsmanship of the early 1900’s. Architecturally, it is a hybrid of Greek Revival and Victorian Styles. The main feature […]

J.C. Coleman Home

J.C. Coleman Home708 East Lockhart Avenue An article in the October 14, 1927, edition of the Alpine Avalanche announced that “one of the most modern and complete homes in Alpine” was to be built for Mr. and Mrs. J. C. […]

William L. Means Home

William L. Means Home605 South Cactus Street On the southwest side of Alpine is an area known as the Means Addition, named for the early settler who once owned that land. W. L. Means, born in 1872, was one of […]

M.A. Boyd Home

M.A. Boyd Home603 West Lockhart Avenue Located at the corner of 10th Street and Lockhart is the pleasant home of Ellen Stevens. Built in approximately 1901, the house is a two storied structure with a Gambrel barn style roofline, popular […]

The First Christian Church of Alpine

The First Christian Church of Alpine201 West Sul Ross Avenue In June of 1890 General R. M. Gano, Civil War Veteran and a long-time minister of the Christian Church, came to Alpine and invited people of that faith who were […]

Gourley, Stroud-Dallman Home

Gourley, Stroud-Dallman Home301 North Ninth Street The first owner of the large two-story house on the corner of Sul Ross Avenue and 9th Street was Dock William Gourley. He had come to the Big Bend country in the 1880’s with […]

The W. D. Kincaid/James Lewis Wade Home

The W. D. Kincaid/James Lewis Wade Home 403 North Eighth Street This red brick home with arched brick window and door headers, shingled gabled ends, and railed porch is an example of a simplified Queen Anne cottage, an architectural style […]

The Apolinar “Polo” Garcia Home and Grocery Store

The Apolinar “Polo” Garcia Homeand Grocery Store601 South Harrison Street This old adobe house, with the long, covered front porch, dates back to the early 1900’s. It is possible that a family named Fierro built the home and lived in […]

The George Washington Baines, III, Home

The George Washington Baines, III, Home709 East Sul Ross Avenue This historic grey stucco house was originally the home of newlyweds George W. and Maude Hancock Baines, who were married on December 31, 1908. It is purported to have been […]

The Virgil E. Miller Home

The Virgil E. Miller Home1405 North Fifth Street This lovely Cape Cod cottage was built in 1927 for Mr. and Mrs. Virgil E. Miller and their baby daughter, Charlotte Jean. It is constructed of cypress wood and was considered to […]

The Holland Hotel

The Holland Hotel209 West Holland Avenue At the beginning of the 1900’s, when the quicksilver mines in Brewster County were booming and Alpine was seeking the services of the Orient Express Railroad, rancher and businessman John R. Holland came to […]

Mollison Home

Mollison Home605 East Avenue B In 1929, Ernest Mollison became the manager of Alpine’s premier “picture show”, the Granada Theater. He and his family lived in this home from at least 1929 until 1943. Records show that it was built […]

C.F. Kimball Home

C.F. Kimball Home601 West Sul Ross Avenue At the beginning of the 20th century, roads were poor, transportation was mostly by horse drawn wagons or horseback, and distances seemed much farther than today. Many ranchers had homes in the communities […]

Winter Home

Winter Home507 North Cockrell Street This Spanish style stucco home on North Cockrell was built in 1928 for A. Vick and Isabel Winter and their two sons. Mr. Winter had a clothing-cold storage business on West Murphy Street, and Mrs. […]

Old Adobe Home

Old Adobe Home505 North Third Street This historic structure is purported to be one of only three original adobe homes remaining in north Alpine. Tax records show that the land on which the house was built was first owned by […]

McMurry Home

McMurry Home608 West Sul Ross Avenue The first occupants of this simple modified Tudor-style home were the R.A. “Bob” McMurry family. Pictures from as early as 1928 are evidence of their ownership. In 1920, McMurry, his wife Lola and two-year […]

Carrillo Home

Carrillo Home406 South Cockrell Street This house is on the west end of Pueblo Nuevo, an area largely settled by former Terlingua residents displaced when the mine closed during World War II. It was originally owned by Callistro Carrillo, a […]

Valadez Home/Store

Valadez Home/Store100 West Murphy Street The building was originally built as a furniture store sometime after the turn of the century. Tomas Valadez bought it in the late 1920s and converted it into a meat and dry goods store that […]

Solo Café

Solo Café102 West Murphy Street Originally constructed as a residence, Tomas Valadez purchased the building ca. 1937 and opened the Solo Café. The building provided a meeting place for black Alpine residents, through the support of Mr. Valadez, at a […]

James Lafarelle Home

James Lafarelle Home108 East Avenue F This house was built sometime before 1900 and appears in a 1902 photo with a white stucco exterior at a time when few south side houses had stucco exteriors. James Lafarelle, born in England, […]

Mexican Methodist Church

Mexican Methodist Church209 South Sixth Street This house was originally built of adobe ca. 1900 and can be seen in a 1902 photo of the city where it then faced onto F Street. It was the Mexican Methodist Church fromthe […]

Scales Home

Scales Home 310 East Sul Ross Avenue Mr. Shirley Scales and his wife Lettie, who came to Alpine in 1911, purchased this house prior to 1920 and owned it for many years. Mr. Scales established the Kandy Kitchen, a confectionary […]

T. Franklin Skevington Home

This house was purchased by T. Franklin Skevington in the late 1920s. Skevington owned the Highway Service Garage and was the Alpine City Secretary in the late 1920s and again from 1942 to his death in 1946. His wife, Lona, […]